Authonomy – Social Network for Writers
Social networks for writers are a great idea – I should know, I run one myself. There are various specialised social networks for writers on Ning.com and they do provide a service the bigger social networks like Facebook can’t. On a specialised network writers can find each other and make contact more easily, and if the network is organised right the good writers do rise to the surface and show so that the publishers who join can find them. I’ve seen two authors picked up by publishers in this way so it can be done.
Authonomy is a little different to many of the specialised social networks for writers because it’s organised by HarperCollins. However, that doesn’t show from the interface as it’s set up in a way that’s just like a standard writers’ network. You can join, create your profile, promote your writing (published or unpublished), join in with discussions on the forum and upload your writing to share and get feedback. Members are also encouraged to recommend their favourite books, and favourite writing by other members, and the books can be from any publisher.
I joined and will be using this site and would recommend it to any writer. I also believe publishers should be looking at these social networks to find the talented authors – they do rise head and shoulders above the rest. A difficulty can arise if these social networks also get so large that they have a similar problem to that created on Facebook: too many writers and pieces of writing being submitted to showcase so they get lost in the crowd.
It will be interesting to see if this site does lead to authors being talent-spotted, and if not it’s still a great way to meet other writers. The social network approach seems almost compulsory nowadays for many types of business, and I think all publishers should be providing this kind of site. The articles with helpful advice for writers are especially useful.
3 Responses to Authonomy – Social Network for Writers
Follow StartupWizz on Twitter
TC Cribs: Asana, Where Zen Yoga And Knife-Wielding Drones Are All In A Day’s Work: Summer is just about here a... bit.ly/17ZffzP
Market swings call Abenomics into question: Dramatic moves in Japanese bond and equities markets in recent day... bit.ly/15FFhni
With $12M Burning A Hole In Its Pocket, London’s YPlan Wants New York To Be More Socially Spontaneous: Yplan, ... bit.ly/15FFh6W
iPhone smackdown: Read full story for latest details. Subscribe to the comments for this post? Share this on F... bit.ly/17ZffzB
- Success Talk with Plentyoffish Founder Markus Frind Posted on: Jul 15th, 2012
- Success Talk with Mashable's Founder Pete Cashmore Posted on: May 28th, 2012
- Airsee - Enjoy Live Video Broadcasts Posted on: Jan 21st, 2012
- B00mbox - Collaborative Playlist Management Posted on: Apr 22nd, 2011
- Mark Zuckerberg, Kevin Ryan and Andreessen on Startup Success Posted on: Sep 8th, 2010
- Tony Robbins - Why do you do what you do? Posted on: Jul 31st, 2010
StartupWizz Top Tags
The Latest Google News
- Will MH17 air crash damage Russia's Putin? - BBC News - July 23, 2014 at 5:15 am
- Subianto to Challenge Widodo Victory in Indonesian Election - Voice of America - July 23, 2014 at 5:09 am
- Russia Hands Data on Mh17 Crash to EC, Awaits Reaction - Russia's EU Envoy - RIA Novosti - July 23, 2014 at 4:56 am
- Is Hamas using human shields in Gaza? The answer is complicated - CNN - July 23, 2014 at 4:49 am
- Former NY mayor Michael Bloomberg flies to Israel in defiance of ban - Telegraph.co.uk - July 23, 2014 at 4:32 am
- Georgians choose millionaire newcomer Perdue in GOP Senate runoff - Los Angeles Times - July 23, 2014 at 4:09 am
The Latest Sports
- DeGrom tames Mariners in Mets 3-1 victoryRecap | July 23DeGrom tames Mariners in Mets 3-1 victory
- Giants beat Phillies 9-6 in 14 inningsRecap | July 23Giants beat Phillies 9-6 in 14 innings
- Arizona rallies for 5-4 win over DetroitRecap | July 23Arizona rallies for 5-4 win over Detroit
- Cubs dispatch slumping Olt to Triple-A IowaHeadlineNews | July 23The Chicago Cubs optioned third baseman Mike Olt to Triple-A Iowa late Tuesday to make room on the roster for Wednesday night's starter, Tsuyoshi Wada.
Powered by WordPress and created by.