Authonomy – Social Network for Writers
Social networks for writers are a great idea – I should know, I run one myself. There are various specialised social networks for writers on Ning.com and they do provide a service the bigger social networks like Facebook can’t. On a specialised network writers can find each other and make contact more easily, and if the network is organised right the good writers do rise to the surface and show so that the publishers who join can find them. I’ve seen two authors picked up by publishers in this way so it can be done.
Authonomy is a little different to many of the specialised social networks for writers because it’s organised by HarperCollins. However, that doesn’t show from the interface as it’s set up in a way that’s just like a standard writers’ network. You can join, create your profile, promote your writing (published or unpublished), join in with discussions on the forum and upload your writing to share and get feedback. Members are also encouraged to recommend their favourite books, and favourite writing by other members, and the books can be from any publisher.
I joined and will be using this site and would recommend it to any writer. I also believe publishers should be looking at these social networks to find the talented authors – they do rise head and shoulders above the rest. A difficulty can arise if these social networks also get so large that they have a similar problem to that created on Facebook: too many writers and pieces of writing being submitted to showcase so they get lost in the crowd.
It will be interesting to see if this site does lead to authors being talent-spotted, and if not it’s still a great way to meet other writers. The social network approach seems almost compulsory nowadays for many types of business, and I think all publishers should be providing this kind of site. The articles with helpful advice for writers are especially useful.
3 Responses to Authonomy – Social Network for Writers
StartupWizz Top Tags
Follow StartupWizz on Twitter
TC Cribs: Asana, Where Zen Yoga And Knife-Wielding Drones Are All In A Day’s Work: Summer is just about here a... bit.ly/17ZffzP
Market swings call Abenomics into question: Dramatic moves in Japanese bond and equities markets in recent day... bit.ly/15FFhni
With $12M Burning A Hole In Its Pocket, London’s YPlan Wants New York To Be More Socially Spontaneous: Yplan, ... bit.ly/15FFh6W
iPhone smackdown: Read full story for latest details. Subscribe to the comments for this post? Share this on F... bit.ly/17ZffzB
- Inkster – Created by Artists for Artists
- The Current State Of The Apple SIM, And Its Possible Future
- What to Do When Your Biggest Customer Is Your Worst Nightmare
- Hundreds Protest At San Francisco City Hall After Soccer Conflict With Dropbox, Airbnb Employees
- 2 Things Great Leaders Do When They Give Feedback
- Success Talk with Plentyoffish Founder Markus Frind Posted on: Jul 15th, 2012
- Success Talk with Mashable's Founder Pete Cashmore Posted on: May 28th, 2012
- Airsee - Enjoy Live Video Broadcasts Posted on: Jan 21st, 2012
- B00mbox - Collaborative Playlist Management Posted on: Apr 22nd, 2011
- Mark Zuckerberg, Kevin Ryan and Andreessen on Startup Success Posted on: Sep 8th, 2010
- Tony Robbins - Why do you do what you do? Posted on: Jul 31st, 2010
The Latest Google News
- Ebola crisis: Canada visa ban hits West Africa states - BBC News - November 1, 2014 at 12:09 pm
- Third victim in Marysville school shooting, 14-year-old, dies - The Week Magazine - November 1, 2014 at 12:02 pm
- Power off in Bangladesh as grid link with India breaks - Reuters - November 1, 2014 at 11:54 am
- Space Tourism Rocket Crash Stirs Mixed Emotions - ABC News - November 1, 2014 at 11:49 am
- Islamic State kills 85 more members of Iraqi tribe - Reuters - November 1, 2014 at 11:34 am
- Boko Haram rejects ceasefire, says all kidnapped girls married off - CTV News - November 1, 2014 at 11:04 am
The Latest Sports
- Moore, Na tied after 3 rounds of CIMB ClassicHeadlineNews | November 1Defending champion Ryan Moore will draw on the experience of last year's narrow victory when he enters the final round of the CIMB Classic on Sunday tied for the lead with Kevin Na.
- Levy builds four-shot lead at BMW MastersHeadlineNews | November 1Alexander Levy sent his 40-foot putt across the sixth green and down a steep ridge toward the cup, and when it curled in the left side, he turned toward his caddie with arms raised and a smile that lit up Lake Malaren on an overcast day.
- Park ups lead at LPGA Taiwan; Lewis into 2ndHeadlineNews | November 1Inbee Park shot a 3-under 69 in windy conditions Saturday in the LPGA Taiwan Championship to increase her lead to four strokes.
- 'Fiery' Blatt called meeting to address debutHeadlineNews | November 1Before the Cleveland Cavaliers could go on to earn the first win of their season -- and the first win of David Blatt's NBA coaching career -- he had some lingering feelings about his team's disaster of a debut that he had to share.
Powered by WordPress and created by.