Authonomy – Social Network for Writers
Social networks for writers are a great idea – I should know, I run one myself. There are various specialised social networks for writers on Ning.com and they do provide a service the bigger social networks like Facebook can’t. On a specialised network writers can find each other and make contact more easily, and if the network is organised right the good writers do rise to the surface and show so that the publishers who join can find them. I’ve seen two authors picked up by publishers in this way so it can be done.
Authonomy is a little different to many of the specialised social networks for writers because it’s organised by HarperCollins. However, that doesn’t show from the interface as it’s set up in a way that’s just like a standard writers’ network. You can join, create your profile, promote your writing (published or unpublished), join in with discussions on the forum and upload your writing to share and get feedback. Members are also encouraged to recommend their favourite books, and favourite writing by other members, and the books can be from any publisher.
I joined and will be using this site and would recommend it to any writer. I also believe publishers should be looking at these social networks to find the talented authors – they do rise head and shoulders above the rest. A difficulty can arise if these social networks also get so large that they have a similar problem to that created on Facebook: too many writers and pieces of writing being submitted to showcase so they get lost in the crowd.
It will be interesting to see if this site does lead to authors being talent-spotted, and if not it’s still a great way to meet other writers. The social network approach seems almost compulsory nowadays for many types of business, and I think all publishers should be providing this kind of site. The articles with helpful advice for writers are especially useful.
3 Responses to Authonomy – Social Network for Writers
Follow StartupWizz on Twitter
TC Cribs: Asana, Where Zen Yoga And Knife-Wielding Drones Are All In A Day’s Work: Summer is just about here a... bit.ly/17ZffzP
Market swings call Abenomics into question: Dramatic moves in Japanese bond and equities markets in recent day... bit.ly/15FFhni
With $12M Burning A Hole In Its Pocket, London’s YPlan Wants New York To Be More Socially Spontaneous: Yplan, ... bit.ly/15FFh6W
iPhone smackdown: Read full story for latest details. Subscribe to the comments for this post? Share this on F... bit.ly/17ZffzB
- Success Talk with Plentyoffish Founder Markus Frind Posted on: Jul 15th, 2012
- Success Talk with Mashable's Founder Pete Cashmore Posted on: May 28th, 2012
- Airsee - Enjoy Live Video Broadcasts Posted on: Jan 21st, 2012
- B00mbox - Collaborative Playlist Management Posted on: Apr 22nd, 2011
- Mark Zuckerberg, Kevin Ryan and Andreessen on Startup Success Posted on: Sep 8th, 2010
- Tony Robbins - Why do you do what you do? Posted on: Jul 31st, 2010
StartupWizz Top Tags
The Latest Google News
- Nearly 300, mostly teens, missing after South Korean ferry sinks - CBS News - April 18, 2014 at 7:01 am
- 9 dead, 3 seriously injured after avalanche on Mount Everest - CNN - April 18, 2014 at 7:00 am
- Nigeria retracts report, says girls in militants' grips - Boston Globe - April 18, 2014 at 6:43 am
- Sub returns to ocean depths in search for missing jet - Boston Globe - April 18, 2014 at 6:43 am
- Diplomats reach deal on defusing Ukraine crisis - Washington Post - April 18, 2014 at 6:19 am
- Putin asserts right to use force - Dallas Morning News - April 18, 2014 at 5:26 am
The Latest Sports
- Bulls GM: Rose will be back at 100 percentHeadlineNews | April 18Chicago Bulls star Derrick Rose is progressing in his rehabilitation, and the team expects him to return at 100 percent, general manager Gar Forman said Thursday night.
- Sharks dominate Quick, Kings from startRecap | April 18Tomas Hertl and Raffi Torres both scored in their first game together as teammates and the San Jose Sharks jumped on top of Jonathan Quick and the rival Los Angeles Kings with a 6-3 victory in their playoff opener Thursday night.
- Stastny ties it, then lifts Avs to OT win vs. WildRecap | April 18Paul Stastny scored 7:27 into overtime after tying the game with 13.4 seconds remaining in regulation, lifting the Colorado Avalanche to a 5-4 win over the Minnesota Wild in the opener of the Western Conference quarterfinals Thursday night.
- Steen boosts Blues over Blackhawks in 3OTRecap | April 18Alexander Steen scored at 26 seconds of the third overtime to give the St. Louis Blues a 4-3 victory over the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks on Thursday night.
Powered by WordPress and created by.