Authonomy – Social Network for Writers
Social networks for writers are a great idea – I should know, I run one myself. There are various specialised social networks for writers on Ning.com and they do provide a service the bigger social networks like Facebook can’t. On a specialised network writers can find each other and make contact more easily, and if the network is organised right the good writers do rise to the surface and show so that the publishers who join can find them. I’ve seen two authors picked up by publishers in this way so it can be done.
Authonomy is a little different to many of the specialised social networks for writers because it’s organised by HarperCollins. However, that doesn’t show from the interface as it’s set up in a way that’s just like a standard writers’ network. You can join, create your profile, promote your writing (published or unpublished), join in with discussions on the forum and upload your writing to share and get feedback. Members are also encouraged to recommend their favourite books, and favourite writing by other members, and the books can be from any publisher.
I joined and will be using this site and would recommend it to any writer. I also believe publishers should be looking at these social networks to find the talented authors – they do rise head and shoulders above the rest. A difficulty can arise if these social networks also get so large that they have a similar problem to that created on Facebook: too many writers and pieces of writing being submitted to showcase so they get lost in the crowd.
It will be interesting to see if this site does lead to authors being talent-spotted, and if not it’s still a great way to meet other writers. The social network approach seems almost compulsory nowadays for many types of business, and I think all publishers should be providing this kind of site. The articles with helpful advice for writers are especially useful.
3 Responses to Authonomy – Social Network for Writers
Follow StartupWizz on Twitter
TC Cribs: Asana, Where Zen Yoga And Knife-Wielding Drones Are All In A Day’s Work: Summer is just about here a... bit.ly/17ZffzP
Market swings call Abenomics into question: Dramatic moves in Japanese bond and equities markets in recent day... bit.ly/15FFhni
With $12M Burning A Hole In Its Pocket, London’s YPlan Wants New York To Be More Socially Spontaneous: Yplan, ... bit.ly/15FFh6W
iPhone smackdown: Read full story for latest details. Subscribe to the comments for this post? Share this on F... bit.ly/17ZffzB
- Success Talk with Plentyoffish Founder Markus Frind Posted on: Jul 15th, 2012
- Success Talk with Mashable's Founder Pete Cashmore Posted on: May 28th, 2012
- Airsee - Enjoy Live Video Broadcasts Posted on: Jan 21st, 2012
- B00mbox - Collaborative Playlist Management Posted on: Apr 22nd, 2011
- Mark Zuckerberg, Kevin Ryan and Andreessen on Startup Success Posted on: Sep 8th, 2010
- Tony Robbins - Why do you do what you do? Posted on: Jul 31st, 2010
StartupWizz Top Tags
The Latest Google News
- Nelson Mandela's casket set for public viewing - USA TODAY - December 11, 2013 at 8:45 am
- Obama shakes hands with Raul Castro at Mandela's memorial - Daily Mail - December 11, 2013 at 8:35 am
- Ukraine Police Press In on Protesters in Capital - Wall Street Journal - December 11, 2013 at 8:25 am
- Obama, Cameron pose for selfie at Mandela service - Indian Express - December 11, 2013 at 8:20 am
- UPDATE 1-India's top court makes gay sex illegal again - Reuters - December 11, 2013 at 8:19 am
- Uruguay bill pioneers state control of cannabis market - BBC News - December 11, 2013 at 7:49 am
The Latest Sports
- Rangers confirm Staal sustained concussionHeadlineNews | December 10Marc Staal has been diagnosed with a concussion and will miss his second straight game when the Rangers host the Nashville Predators Tuesday
- Oft-injured Prior retires, eyes front-office jobHeadlineNews | December 10Mark Prior has decided to call it a career, the oft-injured pitcher told reporters at the winter meetings on Tuesday in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
- Big Ben says he has 'no issue' with HaleyHeadlineNews | December 10A loss that all but eliminated the Pittsburgh Steelers from playoff contention isn't all that left Ben Roethlisberger frustrated.
- New Yorker writer Angell wins Spink AwardHeadlineNews | December 10The New Yorker's Roger Angell won the J.G. Taylor Spink Award on Tuesday for meritorious contributions to baseball writing, the first writer to earn the honor who was never a member of the Baseball Writers' Association of America.
Powered by WordPress and created by.